The star of the game? Without a doubt, Todd Gurley. #3 made a resounding statement and is now at the top of everyone's Heisman list. The numbers speak for themselves. He was just lights out last night. And that kick return! Man. This guy is something special, for sure. And how 'bout Chubb and Michel?! Wow! Even Quayvon got in on the action. I did feel kind of bad for Keith Marshall. I think it was pretty apparent by the end of the game last night that he's probably our number 4 TB now. But...that's football. That's life. And it was nice to see Michel get the ball thrown to him a few times as well. Ditto for Isaiah.
Yesterday I said the following about Hutson Mason: "I think he's going to be quite capable and pretty darn solid. And that's all he needs to be." Well, that's pretty much exactly what he was and that's all we need. Great job by our QB.
After some issues in the first half, Pruitt made some great adjustments and our defense was just absolutely out of sight in the second half. The 2011 Dawgs had a really good defense, but I'd go as far to say that this is the best UGA defense we've seen since the 2002-2004 years. Seriously. And this is just the first game. With our depth and talent, I feel like we'll get a lot better. Still some issues in the secondary, but with that front 7, I think we're going to be a great defensive ball club this year.
Probably about my only gripe would be the fact that we didn't see Isaiah McKenzie in to return a punt until the end of the game. Naturally, he takes it 24 yards in spectacular fashion. Reggie Davis? 37 yards...on 7 returns! Look, I get it if they're not 100% about Isaiah's ball control skills. Deep in our own territory or in a punt-safe situation, throw him in. Otherwise, the job needs to be McKenzie's.
Great day. Great game!
Let's check the pulse of the Dawg Nation and take...
A Trip Around the Dawgosphere:
- The Senator's "Observations from the 35." Bluto's pretty pumped. That's exciting!
- Bernie's Sunday thoughts. And a note about Grantham's towels being alive and well!
- Always a Sunday favorite: Tyler's "Sunday Morning Comes."
- Dawgsports' Sunday Morning Dawg Bites
- Seth Emerson, the best UGA beat writer out there, gives his recap for the Macon paper.
- I am so glad to see T. Kyle King starting to post a good bit online once again (when he's not busy writing books about the UGA-Clemson rivalry). Here are Kyle's thoughts on the Clemson game.