September 13, 2014

A Few Thoughts on UGA vs. SC

Well, the big day is here. Can the Dawgs get two in a row over Spurrier and Co.? I sure hope so. And I think we will. On paper, we look to be the better team, but that doesn't always matter. Two years ago we saw another Georgia squad head to Columbia that looked to be the superior team, and we got waxed. Not showing up for big games. Some would say it has been an attribute of UGA over the years to always have that one game where we just don't have it together. But I don't think that will happen today.

Two years ago, I wrote about my first trip to Columbia as a young boy back in 1984 on another blog I operate. That one didn't go too well. And I was there for the 2000 debacle as well. Hey, I've seen 'em win a few times over there, too. But...I'm not going this year and maybe that's a good thing. You gotta give credit where it's due - those SC fans are passionate and loyal and are always LOUD. I remember going over there in the late 90's when those guys were just awful. 0-11 or 1-10, year in and out, but they always had that stadium packed. And they always brought it and played tough. Always. It's never easy over there.

What are the keys of the game? Hell, showing up would be a great start. Beyond that, I think just playing our game. Keeping guys fresh and winning with our depth. Let's feed the beast but let's also run some smart plays w/ Keith Marshall and let's let Chubb knock some heads between the tackles now and then as well. Of course, the Cocks will be crowding the box so we'll need Mason to make some passes and play smart. I think he is totally up for that challenge.

Defense? I like what I've seen, and I think we're good to go in that department. Concerned about the secondary? Shit, who isn't. But those guys are coming along quite nicely, and with that front 7 of ours, I feel pretty good. As I thought would be the case against Clemson (and it was), I think we're going to see a repeat against USCe. Pretty much a tight game for 2 1/2 quarters or so, and then we just wear 'em down and win it.

As I mentioned the day after the Clemson game, I would love to see Isaiah McKenzie returning more punts! If it's deep in our territory, I get having Davis out there, otherwise, we need to try gain some field position with this dynamic young man.

Can't wait 'til 3:30. GO DAWGS! GATA!!!

P.S. Wouldn't it be something special to see GA Southern take it to the techies and win? I think they have an outside shot. GO EAGLES! GATA!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment