October 3, 2013

3 October 2013: Turning Back and Looking Ahead

Turning Back

I was heartbroken when I realized that I forgot to DVR the Georgia/LSU game on Saturday. I thought I had it set where all UGA games automatically recorded. When I got back from Athens Saturday night, I realized this wasn't the case. I was bummed. But, I was super stoked when I found out that ESPNU was running it Monday night! And once again - Damn! What a game!

Watching it the 2nd time on TV was a true revelation. As many in the Dawgosphere have already mentioned, our offensive line play was absolutely phenomenal. If we were to give out a DGD award to an assistant position coach, I'd have to think you would give it to Friend. He's done a helluva job.

Obviously, a DGD award for a coordinator would have to go to Bobo. He is nothing short of brilliant so far this year with his game planning, scheming, and play-calling. It's been good enough were he's even won over the evil one, CC Rider.

And then, most importantly, you have the players making plays: the O-line, Murray, Conley, Scott-Wesley, Artie Lynch, Gurley, Hicks and others. Special teams: both Barber and Morgan are doing great, and now it seems that we've got a pretty good long snapper in Trent Frix. And even on D. You've got some guys doing great: Sterling Bailey, Jenkins, Herrera, Floyd, Harvey-Clemons and several others are really playing lights out. As a unit, I know the stats aren't that impressive, but we've faced three of the best offenses in the country. I feel very confident about our D moving forward.

Looking Ahead

I don't care what anyone says, playing UT in Knoxville is never an easy thing. The 2003 game notwithstanding, it seems like we never have as easy time up there. I think it's gonna be a struggle for at least a half if not three quarters or more. I think we'll shut down their run and make them beat us in the air, and I believe that Worley, their QB, will make some throws, gain some yards, and score a few points. Ultimately, UT, with their still-depleted and young roster, will simply not have the depth to hang for a full 60 minutes. I could see us up by something like 31-20 midway through the 3rd quarter and then find ourselves winning something like 52-27. We'll see. Of this I'm sure - We'll be able to put up at least our usual number of points, and we should definitely give up less than we did against Clemson, USCe, or LSU. One last thing I'm certain of is this: if our heads are in the clouds and we're not hungry and ready to play this one, it could end up being a long and frustrating day in Neyland Stadium.

GO DAWGS!




No comments:

Post a Comment